1) Why am I doing this? I don't get paid enough to be this miserable.
2) I'm such a hack. No wonder ____ said _____ about my last book.
3) I could write a novel about ___, but ___ has already done it.
4) I could write a novel about _____, but ____ could do it so much better than I could.
5) I should write something funny.
6) I should write something serious.
7) I should write a fantasy novel. Yeah, Hakim Potter at the Deathly Ghettos.
8) I should write a middle grade, so that I can win a Newbery.
9) I should write an adult novel. That way I could be on Oprah.
10) I should just quit while I'm ahead.
Eventually I'm able to push through these thoughts and get something down on paper. Sometimes it just takes a while. A long while.
In other news, I wish I had something more to add about the sale, but really, there isn't much more to say, at least not now. My editor feels pretty confident that we can get the revisions done in enough time to make the Fall 09 schedule. I'll be sure to let y'all know when something exciting happens.
Rhombus continues to do well--thanks to everyone who's purchased the book or requested it from the library or posted a positive comment about it. A few weeks ago, I uploaded the Discussion Guide for My Life as a Rhombus, created by the multi-talented Tracie Vaughn Zimmer. Be sure to check it out and let me know what you think.